Followers

Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

A Great Movie!!

I've mentioned on my blog before that I am a fan of the movies.....all kinds of movies. Although I don't get to the theater too often, I DO love the whole experience of sitting in a large room and watching a movie on a large screen in the dark. I don't mind watching movies at home, either.

I'm happy if the movie entertains me for a couple of hours. I'm REAL happy if I begin to really care about the characters AND think about the movie after I have seen it.

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is one such movie.


I don't remember seeing much hoopla on this movie. Not a lot of well-known actors in it, well, except for Emma Watson, a.k.a. "Hermione Granger" from the Harry Potter movies. The actor on the left, Ezra Miller, also starred in "There's Something About Kevin", a dark and terrifying movie about violence at a high school. I was glad to see him play a much better character.

The main character is the young man on the right, "Charlie", played by Logan Lerman. There is something about this kid that makes him endearing from the opening scene. It's his first day of high school freshmen year. Yuk. Remember that? And he has no friends. Double yuk. Your heart just breaks as you watch him struggle through the first few weeks of school, enduring the random meanness of the other students, his wanting to fit in, ANYWHERE, to be accepted by ANYONE. I can't quite believe that no one want to be his friend because he seems like such a likable kid. His English teacher, played by Paul Rudd, strikes up a friendship with him, one that leads you to believe will shape Charlie into an even finer young man and hopefully a writer.

A couple of senior students finally befriend Charlie, who aren't part of the "in" crowd, but are comfortable in their own skin and having their own group of friends. The movie continues on with the escapades of this group, things a normal high schooler would get involved in, and some not, like the involvement with the local theater and the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

But Charlie has some dark secrets that eventually come out. Some are shocking. The seniors move on to college and Charlie has to cope without them.

This movie is based on a Young Adult novel by the same name. The author, Stephen Chobsky, wrote the screenplay and directed the movie.

Watch a short clip on the movie.




12 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...saw the book and was intrigued by it...but have really heard little about it...so i appreciate the review...and it is def on the list now....smiles.

Furry Bottoms said...

I have been wondering about that movie. I had heard that title vaugely, which is why I keep skipping over it on Netflix or OnDemand. Now I think I will give it a try!! The way you describe this kind of reminds me of Lucas. That Charlie Sheen movie with Corey Haim?

SquirrelQueen said...

I remember hearing about this one when it first came out but didn't pay much attention to it. From reading Furry Bottoms' comment looks like it is on Netflix, I'll check it out. Thanks for the review Pat.

EDS Warrior said...

I watched this movie when it come out here in Australia and even though I loved it, I came out of the cinema feeling "weird". I hadn't read the book so I had no idea what the story line actually was but what I got definitely wasn't what I was expecting!!!!!!!

I also watched "There's something about Kevin" not that long ago as it got rave reviews and the book is quite good. There is actually a girl who is a real life version of Kevi, unfortunately.

I'll have to find the the book for you, because I'd think you'd like it!

Allen said...

Pat, nice review. I need to go see it now. Thanks. Also I havent been to your site in a while and I am sorry for that, but I chuckled this morning, when I got here. "A View From the Edge" Looking at the picture of a Sheep ASS LOL.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good review. We can hardly find time for movies while we're in Florida (such a busy bunch of seniors around here...as you know, because it's just like it was for you in AZ.) But I'll put this on the list for summer, which is quieter.

Anonymous said...

YES! This looks brilliant!!!

Unknown said...

I'll be on the lookout for the book!

Pearl said...

Pat - came across your blog while blog hopping. This movie is currently at my home, having arrived from Netflix as ordered by my daughter. Thanks for the review. I will try to watch it with her then. BTW, I love your current header picture of Ireland.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

maybe I will have an opportunity to see it before it shows up on TV. I have not been to a movie theater in 10 years!

Danica Bridges-Martin said...

I agree, what a great movie!!! It went above and beyond my expectations, and I feel the actors/actresses really brought the characters to life! It's on the list for my next "Movie Time" review. :) Danica

Danica Bridges-Martin said...

I agree, what a great movie!!! It went above and beyond my expectations, and I feel the actors/actresses really brought the characters to life! It's on the list for my next "Movie Time" review. :) Danica