Followers

Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sunday Bridges - Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge

This is the Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge that spans 3,000 feet across the Missouri River between the cities of Omaha, Nebraska and Council Bluffs, Iowa. The bridge stands 52 feet above the water, and the two towers are 200-feet tall each. Bicycles and pedestrians are allowed on the bridge.

It was a gorgeous day when we walked up onto the bridge; there were many people out enjoying the weather, although it doesn't look like it in this shot! I was waiting for there to be NO people in the shot, but it was impossible.

This is a view from the bridge, overlooking the Missouri River. The bridge you see in the background is Highway 6.


Did you know that the Missouri River, which is nicknamed "The Big Muddy",  is the longest river in the United States? It begins in Three Forks, Montana and stretches all the way down to St. Louis, Missouri, 2,341 miles away, where it meets up with the Mississippi River. Its watershed covers one-sixth of the United States, encompassing 530,000 square miles of land.
info courtesy sign near the river


We saw this cute sculpture of a whale while on the bridge.


Here is the bridge from afar. You can really appreciate the size of it in this photo.


Right near where I took the above photo stood this huge sculpture entitled, "Labor". According to a nearby sign, "This monument is a salute to the dedication and hard work of all those who built the grand city of Omaha. It is a tribute to the men and women who worked for and continue to forge a better life for themselves, their families, and their community. The monument is a reminder of what men and women of all walks of life can accomplish by working together. Their commitment will never be forgotten."


The five bronze figures are 8 feet tall and each weigh 800 pounds. The three large ladles weigh 6,000 pounds each while the one at the top weighs 4,000 pounds. Out of the 5 statues, 3 were supposed to be women. I tried my darnedest to figure out which were women and I came up short. 


It's possible the one in the sunlight (background) is a woman!



For more Sunday Bridges, visit Louis here!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore bridges, have since I was small...great pics.

Did you find your award on my blog?

VioletSky said...

another great looking curving bridge (that would scare face off me to drive over!)

Brian Miller said...

oo i really like the bronze sculpture...and what a cool bridge...its got a wicked curve too it eh?

Lynda said...

WOW! Once again you have shown us some amazing things that have been unseen by me to this point. That bridge is too cool. I wonder if I would be scared to walk it due to the height - - perhaps not. The sculptures are fantastic, too. There is such detail in them.

Valerie said...

My that's a lot of walking! When I see bridges I can't help but admire the folk who construct them. Thanks for sharing, Pat.

Gail said...

Again, thank you for the history...beautiful!

Lesley said...

This bridge simply soars!
Love the bronze sculpture, too

Snowflake said...

Another great post!! I love the fact that it is a pedestrian bridge and that you can take your time as you stroll across the river without the sounds and smells of vehicles!!!

cieldequimper said...

This is fantastic!!!

Francisca said...

What a looong pedestrian bridge! I had to go double check the length of 3000 feet, because Carola also posted an interesting foot bridge that is 780 feet and according to the marketing material is the longest in the world. That is clearly old news, as yours is a newer and much longer bridge.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for this informative post. This bridge is very long and impressive. I like those statues too!

Carola said...

Wonderful photos from this very long bridge. Realy impressiv construction.
And yes amazing that we both posted pedestrian bridges. I like them so much.

Ed said...

Cool bridges.

Unknown said...

Wonderful photo of the bridge. Thanks for sharing photos and info!

Leora said...

Beautiful, sophisticated bridge. I hear of the Missouri River and I think of Huck Finn or Laura Ingalls Wilder - bet it look different in their day.

Donna B. said...

Wonderful pics...what is that tall white stick on the bridge for? To tell the water level in case of a flood??

SquirrelQueen said...

What a beautiful bridge. I'm glad you inclued the people on the pedestrian, it really gives an idea of the size of those towers.

The statues are amazing, when I enlarged your last photo the details on the man's face is remarkable.

Ruth said...

I'm glad you got people on the bridge, which gives perspective. There are so many sights in this country you have posted that I never knew about. And no, I did not know that the Missouri is the longest.

Nancy said...

What an amazing bridge. I learn so much from your travels. Thanks for sharing, and for the life of me, I can't tell which one could be a woman!

Entre Nous said...

LURKING all the time, trying to make sure everyone knows how dearly I appreciate your posts, and how they take me places out of my mind during my recent times of troubles.

I love all your posts.

Thank You.
XO
Joni