Followers

Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Tidbits from Trailer Pat - Chapter Two






Today's tidbits are all about PUMPKIN!

1.  Remember my picture of this funny looking pumpkin?


According to this website, Superfreak Pumpkins, they call the pumpkins with large bumps "knuckleheads", and the pumpkins with smaller bumps "goosebumps". Isn't that cute? Their website has free template designs that you can print and use for carving your pumpkin. Next go to this great website, PCJack-o-lantern, that gives wonderful hints for carving a pumpkin.

2. Okay. So you scooped the guts out of the pumpkin. Now what. Here's what I want you to do. I want you to separate the seeds from that other nonsense. Say what? Be patient, my little chick-a-dees. It's well worth it. Let's make some pumpkin seeds!

Rinse the seeds. In a small saucepan, add the seeds to water, about two cups of water to every half cup of seeds. Add a half tablespoon of salt for every cup of water (more if you like your seeds saltier). Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.

Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil over the bottom of a roasting pan, and add seeds, all in one layer. Bake on the top rack until the seeds begin to brown, 10-20 minutes. When browned to your satisfaction, removed from the oven and let the pan cool on a rack. Let the seeds cool all the way down before eating.

(Recipe courtesy of Mark Allen's American Kitchen Restaurant)

Enjoy!

3) Finally, here is a delicious recipe for Pumpkin Squares from my friend Marcia. No, I don't buy a real pumpkin and do whatever you have to do to cook with it; I just buy a can of Libbey's pumpkin and call it a day! These are sooo delicious, try and eat just one!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix wet ingredients in bowl:

16 oz can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 c oil

Mix dry ingredients in another bowl.

2 c flour
1 2/3 c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Pour onto ungreased cookie sheet (with sides!). Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool

Frosting

3 oz cream cheese
2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)

Mix together till creamy. Frost. Cut into bars. Eat. Enjoy!  Yum!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummers...Those bars sound divine...I will so be making them tonight;)

Brian Miller said...

yum we just had pumpkin squares last weekend...and i love the seeds...what a cool pumpkin!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a pumpkin like that...very cool;)

becky said...

Looking at your header photo-did you carve a Pumpkin on the road? Pics of it finished? I might have to try that recipe for the pumpkin squares. For now, it's Pumpkin ice cream from Trader Joe's!
:)

betty said...

oh my gosh! those pumpkin bars! and I have almost all the ingredients to make them! thanks for posting that recipe

you know, in all the years we carved pumpkins with the kids we never toasted the seeds, but seeing this recipe, it makes me want to carve a pumpkin this year just to use that recipe; sounds yummy!

love the blog header picture too!

betty

Unknown said...

The bars sound good, but the pumpkin seeds, although I like them, seem like a lot of work!

Missy said...

I LOVE Pumpkins!

Gail said...

Sounds great!

Allen said...

Hi Pat, Nice post. I am not a big pumpkin fan for eating, cutting I like to do.

How about some boiled peanuts, now I can eat a ton of those.

Have a great and blessed day,
Allen

Valerie said...

Ooooh, I've never carved or cooked a pumpkin. It's not a top priority where I live. I can't remember the parents cooking one either. I'd love to know what it tastes like. If I see one in the shops ... nothing to date ... I might give it a go.

Nancy said...

Sounds like the perfect November treat. I always baked the seeds back when the children carved pumpkins. Maybe it's time to do one for myself.

Prettypics123 said...

Pat, I really like the fall look to your blog. The pumpkin inards are wonderful in your header. Thanks so much for following and commenting on my blog A Camp Host Housewife's Meanderings. Last week without John was terrific. I did lots that I don't usually do because he doesn't share my enthusiasm for it - eat curry, eat garlic, listen to pop music and classical, stay up late on the computer. But it was hard to have him come home on the weekend then leave again. I felt lonely. But Monday is here and I am back to doing my thing. Thanks for asking.

Maude Lynn said...

Yum! My crew loves the pumpkin seeds, so I'll give this a try!

Joann Mannix said...

I love anything pumpkin!

My hubs roasts the pumpkin seeds in our house, he uses kosher salt. And the kids in the neighborhood all come around wanting some of his famous pumpkin seeds. Thanks Pat, for giving this Florida girl a little Autumn flavor.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Love the pumpkin 'guts' header girl!

Now I have a strong hankerin' for roasted pumpkin seeds. Golly gee, I haven't roasted any since I retired from teaching. I may just have to have a pumpkin party with the grandkiddos!!! :o)

God bless ya and have a wonderful 'fall' day!!!

Unknown said...

If you ever use fresh pumpkin, and it is about as easy as opening a can. You will never use canned pumpkin again. The fresh is fantastic. No comparison. Maybe like canned asparagus to fresh.